Screen recording and video editing for study and teaching
TechSmith Camtasia video software enables you to record screen content as well as video and audio feeds on your own computer. The resulting videos can be easily edited and published online. This software is well suited for recording videos for digital teaching, training courses or webinars, for example.
- Creating screencasts and digital teaching materials, e.g. for virtual lectures or seminars
- Recording, video editing and exporting in various formats in a single program
Access and requirements
Instructors at Heidelberg University can obtain a Camtasia single-user license at a significantly reduced price through the URZ.
Before ordering, please thoroughly evaluate whether Camtasia is suitable for your needs to ensure that the heavily subsidized license is used to its fullest potential.
Please proceed as follows when placing your order:
- Download the 30-day free trial from Camtasia from the product website. This way you can thoroughly test the software and evaluate whether it will be suitable for your needs.
For first-time users, web-based introductory courses produced by the developers are useful for getting an overview of the software's range of functions. Current dates for these courses as well as recording of past sessions can be found on the product website.
- Participation in the introductory course (or viewing recording of past sessions) before ordering is highly recommended.
- If you have decided to use the software, please send an email to
In the email, please include:
- the planned usage scenario
- key information about your course(s)
- the most important information about yourself (name, position, institute)
After that, your order will be reviewed and a short time later you will receive your digital license key, which you can use to convert the installed trial version into a full version. The invoice will then be sent to your institute.
The cancellation period is 8 weeks prior to the end of the licensing year.
A subsidized Camtasia single-use license for instructors costs:
- 31.00€ per year
The licensing year is from 01.04. to 31.03. of the next year.
Please be aware: The license will renew automatically if it has not been cancelled. The cancellation period is 8 weeks prior to the end of the licensing year.
As a cost-free, open source alternative, you can also use the OBS Studio tool, which is available for Windows, MacOS and Linux. OBS Studio is more suitable for advanced users and does not offer integrated video editing.
For Linux users in particular, there are several tools that can be combined to provide a similar range of features as Camtasia:
For screen recording, we recommend vokoscreen or Kazam. For more advanced video editing, you can use the editing programs kdenlive or Shotcut, for example. The tools mentioned can usually be downloaded from the software centers of most common Linux versions.