How-toSetting up an Instmail account in Outlook
This how-to describes how you can access your emails on the Instmail server via Outlook.
1. Open Outlook. If no email account has been set up yet, the “Add New Account” window will open. In this case, proceed to step 4.
2. If another email account has been set up, you can manually open the “Add New Account” dialog box. To do so, click on the “File” tab. In the “Info” category, click on “Account settings” and finally on “Account settings” in the dropdown menu.
3. In the “Email” tab, select "New".
4. In the “Add New Account” window, select "Manual setup or additional server types". Then click on "Next".
5. Select "POP or IMAP", then click on "Next".
Depending on your account type, you now have to enter different server settings.
6.1. In the next step, enter the following information:
Important: Here and in the following instructions, please always replace the placeholder institute-abbreviation with the correct institute from your email address.
Example: For the email address max.mustermann[@]alumni.uni-heidelberg.de, alumni is the correct institute abbreviation. This abbreviation is used as an example in the screenshot below.
- Your Name: First and last name
- Email Address: Your complete email address (first-name.last-name[@]institute-abbreviation.uni-heidelberg.de)
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: mail.institute-abbreviation.uni-heidelberg.de
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
- Username: Your complete email address (first-name.last-name[@]institute-abbreviation.uni-heidelberg.de)
- Password: Your password
6.2. Next, click on “More Settings...”
6.3. In the new window, click on the “Outgoing server” tab and check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".
6.4. Now click on the “Advanced” tab. Enter the following information, i.e. select it in the dropdown:
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following encryption type: SSL
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): 587
- Use the following encryption type: TLS
6.5. Confirm by clicking "OK".
7. Please click on “Next”. Now, Outlook is testing your email settings. If the test is successful, please click on “Close” and then “Finish”. Your email account has been set up in Outlook.