How-toManaging Transaction authentication number (TAN lists)
Certain LSF online functions have additional protection through the use of transaction authentication numbers (TANs). For example, functions such as re-enrollment fees and dues, entering your BAföG data, and printing your course certificates can only be used with TANs. Unlike the procedure commonly used in online banking, you generate the TAN lists yourself in the LSF. You should store these TAN lists securely on your computer or as a printout.
To generate your first TAN list, you will need your date of birth in the format DDMMYY (e.g., May 3, 1987 = 030587). This is what is known as your first initial TAN. To use the TAN list, you still need to activate it. To do this, use your date of birth in the format YYMMDD (e.g. May 3, 1987 = 870503). This is what is known as your second initial TAN. You will also be asked for the first TAN number from the previously generated list for activation.
For the generation and activation of all further TAN lists, you will need two still valid TANs from an already generated TAN list and a new TAN from the newly generated TAN list. Generating the list using your date of birth is not possible after the first list.
Therefore, you should create your new TAN list while you still have two valid TANs remaining. Also remember to delete any used TAN numbers from the list as each number can only be used once.
Generating and activating TAN lists
1. Log in to the LSF (linked above) with your Uni ID and password.
2. Click on "My Functions".
3. Then click on "General administration".
4. You will be directed to a new page, where you should now click on "TAN Management".
5. You have now reached the page where you can generate and activate your TANs. This TAN list must first be generated and then immediately activated.
Generating a TAN list for the first time
To generate your first TAN list, enter your first initial TAN (birthdate: DDMMYY).
For example: If your birthday is 8 February 1984, you would enter "080284".
Generating further TAN lists
1. For further TAN lists, enter a TAN from a previous, still valid TAN list, then click "Generate".
2. After you have clicked "Generate", a TAN list will be generated as a PDF file. This TAN list should be saved on your computer, then you can open it and print it out.
You have now generated your TAN list. However, you cannot yet use the TANs, as they have not yet been activated.
Activating a TAN list for the first time
Please enter your second initial TAN (birthdate: YYMMDD) as the “Old TAN” and use the first TAN on your TAN list as the "New TAN". Now click on "Activate".".
For example: If your birthday is 8 February 1984, you would enter "840208").
Activating further TAN lists
Please enter a TAN from a previous, still valid TAN list as the “Old TAN” and use the first TAN on your TAN list as the "New TAN". Click on “Activate”.
Now you should be able to use your TAN list.
Note: Don't forget to cross out used TANs. Every TAN can only be used once.