How-toInstall AnyConnect for VPN
Download for smartphones and tablets
Download the AnyConnect app from your operating system’s store (Play Store, Appstore, etc.). Open the app and click on "Connections", then on “Add a new VPN connection” and enter the server address:
Click on “Done” and activate the new connection in the overview by using the slider next to it. Finally, log on with your Uni ID or project number.
Download for PCs (Windows, Linux, MacOS)
1. Access the download link for Cisco AnyConnect.
2. Enter your username/Uni ID and your password.
3. You will be shown a notification: Please read through it and click "Continue".
4. Click on the link "Start AnyConnect". You will be directed to the website of the software developers.
5. You will be automatically prompted to download the appropriate version of the software for your operating system. (Screenshot: Windows). Click "Download".
6. After the installation, the program will open. The correct address for the University's VPN server should have been entered automatically. If this is not the case, you can enter it manually: vpn-ac.urz.uni-heidelberg.de. Then Click "Connect".
7. Enter your username/Uni ID and the accompanying password.
8. Accept the notice.
Please note: The files for manual installation are currently not available. We are currently working on a replacement for the outdated downloads and apologize for the inconvenience.
Should the automatic installation fail, you can also download the relevant file from our webserver. After installation, in this case, you must manually start AnyConnect, enter vpn-ac.urz.uni-heidelberg.de in the clients address field and click "Connect". You can deselect other packages that may be offered for installation ("Web Security", "Diagnostics and Reporting Tool", "dart“ or "Posture"). On MacOS, only “VPN” can be selected for installation, otherwise you will encounter problems with WebDAV.
Problems with installation on Windows
The error “The VPN client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot.” appears when Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is active. You must deactivate ICS:
1. Click “Start” and enter services.msc. Open the program.
2. Find the services Cisco Systems, Inc VPN and Internet Connection Sharing and stop them.
3. Open Internet Connection Sharing properties by double-clicking on it and change the startup type from automatic to manual.
Problems with installation on Linux
If the installations does not work automatically:
1. Download and unpack the most up-to-date version of the VPN client for your installation type (32 or 64).
2. Switch to the unpacked directory in a command line (shell) (cd anyconnect-* and then cd vpn) and start vpn_install.sh in the command line with sudo bash.
(A start script “vpnagentd_init” will be entered and a service
/opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpnagentd" will be executed).
3. Recommendation from Cisco: Before connecting to AnyConnect for the first time, open Firefox. This will create a profile which includes a certificate store .
4. If AnyConnect does not appear in your usual start mechanism (e.g. Start menu, unity), you can also start the graphical client with /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpnui.
5. If you receive a warning that the server certificate cannot be verified when you first try to connect ("Untrusted VPN Server Blocked!"):
Generally, you just need to link the certificate (as root) available in the system in the VPN client, e.g.
sudo ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/T-TeleSec_GlobalRoot_Class_2.pem /opt/.cisco/certificates/ca/