The URZ provides a powerful storage system for backing up servers that also allows the recovery of data within an acceptable period of time. Server data can be backed up there in combination with the IBM Spectrum Protect (ISP) software. ISP is available for all common operating systems and can be downloaded via the link below.
The service is subject to a charge. The costs are based on the storage space actually required (see the Price sheet; URZ login necessary) and are invoiced every six months.
Access to the service must be applied for once per cost centre using this form. You will receive a letter which we ask you to return to the URZ signed and stamped. In this form you will be given an acronym for your archiving purpose, with which you can register one or several servers to be backed up. This acronym is used mainly to assign the server to the cost centre.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the URZ IT support.
- For securing workplace computers (Notebook, PC,...) the service Client backup is available.
Frequently asked questions
The terms "backup" and "archiving" are often used synonymously. However, they refer to different types of data storage with very different objectives. Here is a brief overview of the main differences:
- Storage of current data you need for day to day work (e.g. backup of a hard drive with an operating system) which can be quickly restored if necessary ("hot data").
- Data is stored incrementally, which means only changes in the individual files are transferred to the system. This saves space and resources.
- Data is stored in versions, making very fast restoration possible.
- For this, the URZ offers the Client backup (backup for workplace computers) and Server backup services.
- Long-term storage of data (such as from administration and research) which remains unchanged ("cold data") for a long period of time (years to decades).
- Data is stored as a complete, revision-proof package.
- Data is kept unchanged and generally not stored in more than one version, so restoration takes some time.
- For this, the URZ offers the Archive - your data preserved! service.
- Download Client software - Client-Software for the different operating systems
- Current instructions by IBM for the Client software - The original documentation of IBM for Spectrum Protect Version 8
- Service-Level-Agreement (as PDF Download)
- Price sheet (as PDF Download)
No news at the moment.
No current announcements.
No how-tos available yet.