High performance computer cluster for for molecular life sciences and economics and social sciences
The bwForCluster MLS&WISO is a compute cluster that scientists in the fields of molecular life sciences (MLS) and economics and social sciences (WISO) from all over Baden-Württemberg can use. The production part of the cluster is dedicated to research work, while the development part can be used for method development in the field of scientific computing.
The bwForCluster MLS&WISO is one of four bwForClusters in the State of Baden-Württemberg. According to the "Implementation Concept of the Universities of the State of Baden-Württemberg for High Performance Computing bwHPC", in addition to the basic provision system bwUniCluster, these clusters can be used state-wide and by specific subject and research disciplines. The bwForCluster was funded by the Ministry for Sciences, Research and Arts of Baden-Württemberg (MWK) and the German Research Foundation (DFG). Information about the concept and about access to the systems can be found in the bwHPC Wiki.
The Cluster is operated in locations in Heidelberg and Mannheim and is a joint project of the Computing Centre and the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR, responsible for the development part) at Heidelberg University as well as the Computing Centre of the University of Mannheim (RUM).
- University employees
- Doctoral candidates
- External members (Researchs from throughout Baden-Württemberg)
- Performing complex computations and analyses on a high-performance computing cluster for the fields of molecular life sciences (MLS) and economics and social sciences (WISO)
- Method development for scientific computing in the development part of the cluster
Access and requirements
Registration is required for access. There is a detailed description of the procress for receiving user access to the bwForCluster in the bwHPC Wiki.
Production part (291.3 TFlop/s)
- 472 standard nodes: 2x Intel Xeon Haswell with 8 cores, 2.4 GHz, 64 GB storage, 128 GB SSD, QDR (1:1)
- 128 best nodes: 2x Intel Xeon Haswell with 8 cores, 2.6 GHz, 128 GB storage, 128 GB SSD, FDR (1:1)
- 12 coprocessor nodes: 2x Intel Xeon Haswell with 8 cores, 2.4 GHz, 2x Intel Xeon Phi 5110P (60 cores), 64 GB storage, 128 GB SSD, FDR (1:1)
- 4 fat nodes: 4x Intel Xeon IvyBridge with 8 cores, 2.6 GHz, 1 TB storage, 128 GB SSD, FDR (1:1)
- Storage: 384 TB (BeeGFS) + 36 TB Home
Development part (222.7 TFlop/s)
- 416 nodes: 2x Intel Xeon Haswell with 8 cores, 2.4 GHz, 64 GB storage, 120 GB SSD, QDR (1:1)
- Storage: 63 TB, NFS
The Computing Center's High Performance Computing Support will assist you in using the supercomputing resources available at the University and in the state of Baden-Württemberg.