heiCAST - Video management system
heiCAST is a service for the management of digital video content and video streaming at Heidelberg University. It is commonly used to provide audiovisual learning content in Moodle and is based on the software Opencast.
What does heiCAST offer?
heiCAST currently offers the following core features:
- Upload and streaming of videos
- Video streams for camera image and presentation
- Video player with a wide range of functions
How can I use heiCAST?
There are two ways to use heiCAST:
Option 1: Access by direct link via Uni-ID
heiCAST can be accessed directly via the link https://heicast.uni-heidelberg.de Login is possible via the Uni-ID. With this login some advanced features are available:
- Opencast Studio to record videos in your browser
- Directory of available videos and series (Media Module)
- Employees can manually upload/create videos and allocate access rights
Option 2: Access to heiCAST via the Moodle platform
Lecturers and students can make videos available through Moodle. All videos are then processed in the background by heiCAST, where they are organized and published for playback in Moodle. The necessary steps are done via Moodle, logging into heiCAST is not necessary.
To learn how to provide video content via Moodle, a video tutorial (in German) is available for teachers in the (protected) Moodle course "Anleitungen & Tipps Online Lehre".
Which formats are supported?
.3gp, .avi, .dv, .dif, .flv, .f4v, .mov, .movie, .mp4, .m4v, .mpeg, .mpe, .mpg, .ogv, .qt, .rmvb, .rv, .swf, .swfl, .webm, .wmv, .asf
How do I record videos for teaching?
Many different tools for recording videos for teaching purposes are available. These videos can then be published via Moodle (and thus via heiCAST). Here is an exemplary selection:
- Opencast Studio (integrated in heiCAST, browser-based)
- Camtasia (can be bought at a discount via the URZ)
- Export PowerPoint presentation as a video file
- OBS Studio (free open-source tool, for advanced users)
How do I operate heiCAST?
To learn how to provide video content in a Moodle course, a video tutorial is available for teachers in the (protected) Moodle course "Anleitungen & Tipps Online Lehre" .
Further manuals for end users are currently in preparation.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Make sure that the resolution of your video can be divided by 2.
1280x996 = Works fine
1280x995 = Does not work
No news at the moment.
No current announcements.
No how-tos available yet.