Information for international visitors

Bild: Weltkarte

We do speak English.
Unfortunately, our website doesn’t – yet.

Dear international visitor,

Welcome to the website of the Heidelberg University Computing Centre (our German acronym: URZ). We are the university's central IT provider and offer a wide range of IT services for students, researchers and other university staff.

As you may have noticed, our website is not fully available in English yet. We are in the process of rewriting and translating all of our web content.

In the meantime, feel free to contact our IT service team, who do speak English and are happy to help with any IT-related questions or problems. You can get in touch…

…by e-mail:

…by phone: (+49) 6221 54 117

…in person:

At the University Computing Centre (URZ):

Im Neuenheimer Feld 293 / room 15
Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00-16:00

At the University Library (UB): Plöck 107-109 / IZA, room 32 (ground floor)
Opening hours: Tuesday and Thursday, 09:00-14:00
Opening hours in April and October: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:30-12:00, 13:00-16:00

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Uni-ID: The Uni-ID is Heidelberg University’s digital user ID. It allows you to use all kinds of services, such as WiFi, e-mail, various library amenities, public printers, etc. It is essential for your work and your studies.

If you are a student, your Uni-ID is printed on your student ID card. New employees and doctoral candidates will receive their Uni-ID via internal mail.

To be able to use it, you will have to activate it by using this online form.

For this form, you will need an activation code that is handed out or sent to you by mail. During the activation process, you will also set a password for your Uni-ID. In case you have not received your activation code or if you have lost it, please come and see our IT service staff at the URZ or the University Library (see information above for addresses and opening hours). If you are an employee, you can also talk to your local IT representative (IT-Beauftragter) first.

WiFi access: WiFi is available in most university buildings and also at various locations around campus and in the city. To gain access, you will need your Uni-ID and use the “eduroam” network.

You can easily setup WiFi access to “eduroam” on your devices by using the Configuration Assistant Tool (CAT), which is available for various operating systems and mobile devices. You can download it here.

Alternatively, you can also follow our online manual (in German) to setup the WiFi connection yourself.

LSF: LSF is the university's central information system for teaching, learning, and research. It provides information on most courses, institutions, rooms, and university staff. As a student, you can also use it to update your contact information, upload a picture for your student ID, take care of your re-registration, download various certificates, and much more. LSF is essential to organize your studies. For many of these functions, you will have to login with your Uni-ID and you will also need a TAN. A TAN list can be generated in LSF.

For more information on LSF and detailed instructions (in German), please click here.

Printing: There are public copiers/printers all around campus, which are all connected to a central printing server. Using our printing portal website, you can send documents to this server and print them at a public printer of your choice. You can pay directly at the printer using your student ID.

For more detailed information on how to use the copiers/printers (in German), please click here.


E-Mail: As a new employee or student, you automatically get a university e-mail account. To access this account, you can use the web portal SOGo. Just login with your Uni-ID. You may also use mail clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird (click here for more information). SOGo does not just provide access to your e-mails; you can also use it to create and manage calendars and contacts.

As an employee, you may use an Exchange account instead of your regular e-mail account. To switch to Exchange, please get in touch with the IT representative (IT-Beauftragter) at your institution. He or she can also help you if you want to change your e-mail alias.

Students who want to change their e-mail alias can get in touch with our IT service at the URZ or the University Library (see information above for addresses and opening hours).

VPN: If you are not connected to the university network but want to access services that are only available internally, you can to set up a VPN connection. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and allows you to establish a secure connection to the university network from all around the world. To create a VPN connection, simply download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client and follow these instructions (in German).

Click here to see a manual for setting up a VPN connection on your smartphone.

Public computers: You don’t own a computer or your laptop stopped working and you need to finish a term paper?

No problem: There are two public computer rooms at the URZ that you can use, open from Monday-Friday, 8:00-23:45 and Saturday, 10:00-18:45.